About 10 people were reportedly killed in a bloody clash between the Yoruba and Hausa community at the Sabo area of Ile-Ife on Wednesday.
A source said, trouble started when an Hausa man living in Sabo area of the town was allegedly accused of having love affair with the wife of an Ife man who reportedly went over-boards when he discovered what happened.
The incident said to have happened on Tuesday night degenerated into a bloody clash between the two communities yesterday leading to the killing and destruction of property from both sides.
While the crises lasted, dangerous weapons such as daggers, guns, clubs, arrows, cutlasses and swords were freely used in a free for all between the two warring tribes.
Eyewitness told Vanguard that, the people organised themselves into two formidable groups to match themselves strength for strength in the frightening battle. At the battle ground around Sabo area of the town, the Hausas were said to have used freely daggers, arrow and bow to confront the Yoruba who were said to be armed with dane guns, cutlasses and other traditional weapons.
Also, several shops were reportedly looted by miscreants who took advantage of the violence that engulfed the ancient city to perpetrate the act. Shop owners around the place briskly locked up their shops while the environment was completely deserted by both commercial and private vehicles.
Speaking on the development, Imam Muhammed Basir, the Senior Special Assistant to Osun state governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola on Arewa matters, said; ‘’The situation has taken a very dangerous dimension because as I am talking to you, one person had been shot dead. ‘’I have notified the state governor and the police commissioner, Mr. Fimihan Adeoye and the State Director of the Department of State Security Services on the development.
Meanwhile, normalcy is set to be returning to the once peaceful community, after the state government imposed a two-day curfew on Ile-Ife.
According to a statement from the Director of Bureau of Communication, Media and Strategy to governor Rauf Aregbesola, Mr Semiu Okanlawon; “The curfew has been compelled by the breach of the peace in the area which led to avoidable destruction of lives and properties. ‘’The curfew, which will be between 6pm to 7am, will be in force till Friday.”