Home International Travellers rush to the U.S. as court denies Trump ban blocked
International - February 5, 2017

Travellers rush to the U.S. as court denies Trump ban blocked

Some protesters over Trump’s travel ban

Travellers to the U.S. who were denied access as a result of President Donald Trump’s executive order on travel ban have resumed their trip following appeals court ruling.

A U.S. Appeals Court in San Francisco late on Saturday denied a request from the Department of Justice to immediately restore an immigration order from President Donald Trump barring citizens from seven mainly Muslim countries and temporarily banning refugees.

The Justice department filed an appeal on Saturday to reinstate an executive order barring citizens from seven mainly Muslim countries and temporarily banning refugees, even as travellers raced to enter the country while the ban was lifted.

The appeal aimed to reverse a federal judge’s Friday order that lifted the travel ban, warning the decision posed an immediate harm to the public.

The court asked those legally challenging the ban – the states of Washington and Minnesota – to provide documents detailing their opposition to the Trump administration’s appeal by the end of the day on Sunday.

The justice department was given a deadline of 3pm (23:00 GMT) on Monday afternoon to supply documents further supporting its position.

The state department said last week that up to 60,000 people had their visas revoked as a result of Trump’s ban, although a justice department lawyer put the number at closer to 100,000.

The restrictions on all refugees and travellers from the seven countries went into effect a week ago, wreaking havoc at airports across the US and leaving travellers trying to reach the country in limbo.

Trump says the 90-day travel ban on citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen, and a 120-day bar on all refugees, are necessary to protect the United States from Islamist militants. Critics say the measures are unjustified and discriminatory.

The judge’s order and the appeal ruling have created what may be a short-lived opportunity for travelers from the seven affected countries to get into the United States while the legal uncertainty continues.

“This is the first time I try to travel to America. We were booked to travel next week but decided to bring it forward after we heard,” said a Yemeni woman, recently married to a U.S. citizen, who boarded a plane from Cairo to Turkey on Sunday to connect with a U.S.-bound flight. She declined to be named for fear it could complicate her entry to the United States. (Aljazeera)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *